Darjeeling #WanderfulWednesday

When my son was a toddler, he used to be extremely hyperactive, leaving me exhausted. Managing household chores became difficult therefore I kept a cook. One day my husband said with disdain in his voice “you should cook something for him or else your son will never remember what is mom’s cooking.” Perhaps husband was right because even in movies, Nirupa Roy is only remembered for the gajar ka halwa. However, the rebel in me said that I do not want to be Mother India and my son should not remember me only for the “Ma k haath ka khana”, he should remember me for all the other things like the books I read to him, the movies I introduced to him, the games I play with him, the songs I introduced to him, the stories that I tell him at bedtime, the knowledge, the values and above all the places that we travel together to.

_DSC5031.JPG

Darjeeling is one such place that we travelled together. The place that will remain etched in our memories forever. Not only because it was a mommy and sonny trip but also for some amazing things that we did. The food we ate, the tea, the cold, the lip-smacking momos, Glenary’s, Keventers and our excitement at the first glimpse of  Kanchendzonga.

_DSC5044.JPG

img_20180509_153357img_20180509_081414

I always felt ashamed of the fact that even after growing up in Sikkim, I had never visited Darjeeling and thus it was on my bucket list for the longest time. I am grateful that I could finally make this trip. Thanks to my friend Kavita and her daughter Kaju who accompanied me on this trip.

Darjeeling is a place that still retains its colonial heritage. It is a place where you can spend a laid-back holiday; sip your Darjeeling tea sitting at Glenary’s overlooking the Kanchendzonga. In the evening you can stroll at Mall, visit some Tibetan curio shop and buy silver accessories from Habib Mallik. If you are fond of Tibetan food then have pork noodles and thukpa at Tibetan refugee center. Or else visit the nearby tea gardens.

img_20180508_193442

Glenary’s

img_20180508_194024

img_20180509_085400

The view of Kanchendzonga from this place is awesome

img_20180508_172549

Mall Market

img_20180508_172539

Bhutiya and Nepali Women Selling Sweet Corn at Mall Market

img_20180509_153340

Our Heritage Hotel

img_20180509_133632

Tea Estate

img_20180509_132910

And please do not forget to visit the Himalayan Mountaineering Institute (HMI) and the adjoining Padmaja Naidu Zoo to have a look at some amazing Himalayan Flora and Fauna. My son loved the trekking that he did in HMI. He did it thrice and was beyond thrilled. I felt like a proud Mom watching my son climb the rock at a place where professional mountaineers take their training.

img_20180509_110917

HMI

img_20180509_132842img_20180509_081645

20 thoughts on “Darjeeling #WanderfulWednesday

1. Todd says:

Stunningly beautiful place. I haven’t visited the Himalayan foothills ever and would like to do this sometime.

Our son also continues to make many wonderful memories with his mom. But hamare ghar men there is only pite ka hath ka khana and now as he gets older, bete ka hath ka khana – and that’s fine. All of the memories of our spending time together are good even if they’re not always what people expect.

• Todd says:

Absolutely. And the reality is, if we’re good parents – present and participating in our childrens’ lives, it’s not going to matter who does the cooking. There will be wonderful memories.

I don’t have a lot of fond memories, for example, of my own mother’s cooking. But wow do I have lots of memories of being read to and I treasure those. My son will have no memories of my wife’s cooking, but he’ll have great memories of them doing art together and laughing a lot.

• Todd says:

I never heard that phrase before but I think I can understand it – and relate. No need to play roles that don’t suit us.

Dusera log khana banaein. Maa ke saath hansna behtarin hai. 🙂

2. mammaspeaks says:

Lovely post, more so because I absolutely adore kalimpong, darjeeling and gangtok. Have been to darjeeling only morning till evening.. Had lunch at glenarys. However, didn’t get to stay a night there and enjoy the morning charm of this place.

I grew up in Gangtok😄😄 however this was the first time that I visited Darjeeling. We had breakfast at glenarys..and it was yummm…the view of the snowcapped peaks from glenarys is breathtaking. Thanks Anshu for reading and commenting.

3. Obsessivemom says:

First, let me send out a hug and a high-five for doing your own thing with your son. You don’t even need to think of reasons to not cook – whether you have time/energy or not, you may simply not like to cook. I say if you can afford a cook, why not? In fact when I had the twins and the obsessive mom in me would spend too much time fretting over food my sister would tell me
    to stop being a Nirupa Roy :-). So there.

These are gorgeous pictures Balaka. I’ve been to Darjeeling once long long back. It was April and it rained and rained – that’s all I remember :-).

High five!!! I am one woman who loathes cooking..since quite a few days I am planning a post on ‘why I hate cooking’ 😉
      Even we got rain in Darjeeling and the Kanchejunga was visible only on one day. Nevertheless we loved and enjoyed Darjeeling. Thanks a ton for this beautiful comment and a big hug!!

Your Mother India bit caught me. I feel like one all the time irrespective of the fact I like to cook or not, or whether I can turn out tasty delicacies or not. I know he would never remember his mum for her cooking. I will be happy if I am remembered for shaping him as a reader. In your case, I am sure you are going to leave behind a legacy.

They should not remember us only as a good cook, we are much more than that and they should remember us for the person that we are. Thanks Anamika for reading and commenting💓

w