How Bollywood Ruined Us

Featured post on IndiBlogger, the biggest community of Indian Bloggers

The other day I sat down to watch ‘Maine Pyar Kiya’. After precisely five minutes into the movie, I realized the movie is simply unwatchable. It appeared gross, grotesque and as Bongs would put ‘churanto nyaka’. However, ironically this is the same movie that ignited passion and romance in me 28 years back when I was at the onset of puberty. Like a typical ‘pichan paka’ (please refer to Bong dictionary) girl I had got tremendously inspired by this amazing ‘love story’.

Those who grew up in the 90s would remember VCR and VCP. In those days we used to hire videocassettes of movies from the local video parlour and binge-watch them-These were way before we got hooked to binge-watching Netflix- Special occasions like birthdays, weddings, and festivals like Mahashivratri or Holi used to be the coveted occasions for movie viewing when the entire family and neighbourhood used to gather around a box like ‘colour’ television set fitted with a VCP and watch movies, one after the other.

I put colour within quotes because back in those days having a ‘colour TV’ was part of the status symbol. And those who had a VCP/VCR were almost the likes of those who have personal movie theatres nowadays. Unfortunately, we had none. My puritan dad always felt that television was the root of all evil so after much argument, he brought home a small black and white portable TV. Younger readers wouldn’t know what a portable TV is. It was basically a smaller box with similar options. In those days even television sets with all options had only the liberty of watching Doordarshan and pirated Bangladeshi TV where you could watch CNN.

Back to Maine Pyar kiya, I watched this movie in VCP in one of my friends’ house. I told my mother that I was going to watch Sound of Music while secretly watched Maine Pyaar Kiya, exactly the way kids these days watch Sunny Leone. For my parents ‘Maine Pyar Kiya’ was blasphemous, especially for a pre-puberty child. They believed love stories spoil the kids and teach them to fall in love and do ‘dirty things’ (get the drift). Falling in love was equivalent to sinful act in those days.

Due to this holier than thou attitude of the society our generation eventually grew up with zero sex education in school and home. The word sex was a taboo and we were almost taught to pour gangajal into our ears the moment we heard the three lettered word. Our previous generation kept us away from sex as if it was plague till our wedding day but immediately after marriage, they started demanding grandkids. Now imagine, if you keep Calculus out of syllabus through the entire semester and never teach it and then suddenly on exam day want us to perform and score a perfect A+, how is it supposed to happen?

Have you ever wondered why there are so many IVF clinics these days? I tell you. It is because our generation has such a warped idea that many of us are probably clueless about the actual act.

Our only sex education came from Bollywood movies and Bollywood taught us how to kiss by using placeholders like two flowers nudging each other or two birds touching the beak of each other. How were we supposed to learn from this? Had we been allowed to watch Hollywood we would have still learned but Hollywood movies in most theatres were restricted for night shows and most scenes were deleted by Censor Board.

In movies like Maine Pyaaar kiya the love was so pure and clean that even Dettol would suffer an inferiority complex, absolutely 100% no germs. Hindi movies taught us that making love is equal to singing songs around the tree or in a mustard field. There was no concept of ‘making out’. All heroes and heroines of Hindi movies were so celibate that they could give Baba Ramdev a run for his money. The level of ignorance was so low that in Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam the character of Aishwarya felt that a kiss could get her pregnant.

Pre-marital anything was a strict no and all the female protagonists were direct descendants of Sati and Savitri. They were innocent, pure, virginal with zero libidos.   Think of the Sooraj Barjatiya brand of movies where the girls were either in the pooja room or kitchen. Their bedrooms were also so virtuous that all of them conceived like Virgin Mary. The movies were so sweet that India is today the number one country in diabetes.

I sincerely feel movies these days are much more realistic. Even though there is still some amount of prejudice involved yet they are far better than before. Yet most of us love watching those movies of the 90s for the sake of nostalgia. What do you feel? Do you agree or disagree? Please let me know.

Mondaymusings-1

Linking this post to #MondayMusings hosted by dear Corinne.

39 thoughts on “How Bollywood Ruined Us

“Maine Pyaaar kiya the love was so pure and clean that even Dettol would suffer an inferiority complex, absolutely 100% no germs” hahahahha 😀 😀 😀 I cannot agree any less than you. I remember those VCP/VCR hiring days. We didn’t own the VCP/VCR and parents never hired it too. The revolution really began with the onset of cable TV. The movies of recent times are much more realistic than in our growing up era. I watch less number of movies which does not allow me to spend my precious time on the movies of 90s.

2. Lata Sunil says:

Ah.. totally agree! So much nostalgia with the VCP in the society days. First 2 movies were for the aunties. And then, more younger folks. So much fun. But yeah, that we even got to hear the word ‘sex’ is a miracle. Remember the ‘i am too sexy for my shirt song’. Of God! We couldn’t even listen to it with our parents around. And now ‘sexy’ is like saying ‘cute’. We should have surely had more sex education. Come on, we didn’t have internet also.

Yes Lata exactly the first two movies used to be for the older people and mostly religious like Jai Santoshi Mata… Such Lovely memories…
      And good you reminded me of that song..it was a Karishma Kapoor song.. ” sexy sexy mujhe log bole”..so much controversy that they replaced sexy with baby…and honestly these days sexy doesn’t even account as cat call.. thanks Lata for reading and commenting

3. neelstoria says:

Maine Pyar Kiya reminds me of my friend’s brother, who had instigated us to watch it. I had also watched it on a ‘colour TV’ through a VCR in a friend’s house. It’s silly to think today how even the mention of bollywood (hollywood out of question) was blasphemous. But those innocent fun no longer exists in today’s world. I really feel for today’s children for whom nothing is novel anymore, everything is just easily available.

I agree that I miss those innocent fun days. Today’s children do miss them but I am sure they are making their own memories… something that they will tell their next generation..thanks for stopping by.

4. Natasha says:

I love this post and I’m coming back tomorrow to comment. Sorry have a bad headache. This post has brought forth a plethora of memories which I shall share with you!
    Daroon. Aajkay bhab chilam Tui eto din likeeshni keno!

5. arv! says:

I feel the movies are never realistic because most people are either looking for glamour or an escape from their boring lives. YR films were always shot at glamorous locations and the character lead luxurious lives. I feel today’s Bollywood movies are simply Indianised versions of Hollywood movies. Of course there are host of directors trying to make movies like Oh my God!

Fundamentally movies are not realistic even in Hollywood. However I hated the dettol clean concepts of the Barjatya movies of 90s. I beg to differ on the indianised Hollywood bit.. I feel quite a few original movies are being made in India these days like Newton, English Vinglish, Mom, Parmanu, Vicky Donor, Tamasha, Luck by Chance just to name a few

DDLJ was little different.. I loved the European holiday part and ofcourse the chemistry between SRK and Kajol… But oi Barjatya movie gulo ekhon r just Bose dekhte parina.. DDLJ I do still watch…

6. Maniparna Sengupta Majumder says:

Uff!! How could emotions and feelings be so identical for two different individuals 😮

Whenever they show MPK and QSQT in any of the channels, and my husband stops there for the split of a second, my reaction is “bandho kawro” 😀 Yet, it’s true that my younger self, had gone gaga over these movies 😀

Eto mil Karon tumio Amar Moto pichan paka Chile I guess😂😂😂
      Asole oisamay hormones were high and there was nothing available..oi ja peyechi kuriye bariye Tai niyei nijeke shanto korechi….. Ami to nijeke Bhagyashree bhabtam… 🙈🙈🙈

7. Mimi says:

Though in tremendous pain cannot stop reading your post… absolutely man ki baat…now whenever I get the chance of watching Maine pyar Kiya, kuch kuch hota hain, hum saath saath Hain, oh god!!!! and many more, I am unable to watch them for few seconds…

8. Obsessivemom says:

Oh I loved MPK when it was released. My sister and I went out and got that ‘Friends’ cap too and we knew all the dialogues by heart. Like you, I absolutely cringe when I watch it now. However it has made me more tolerant of my daughter’s Bollywood crushes :-). It’s age that brings wisdom. And I think that’s alright, as long as we don’t fogey to grow up.

I was absolutely smitten by MPK. In school a friend casually mentioned that I resemble Bhagyashree. I was so flattered that I went and bought a white salwar with huge glittery flowers similar to the one Bhagyashree had worn in the movie. It was my favorite dress for a very long time. I used to have pictures of Salman Khan hidden under my pillow. Don’t ask me…such embarrassing memories🙈🙈🙈

9. Shilpa Garg says:

Hahaha… this made me do time travel. Those were the days… Watching the movies on VCR was a neighbourhood activity. And we watched some hit movies back then which appear to be absolutely cringe-worthy now. I cant stand movies like MPK now but LOVED it back then. What thoughts and ideologies these movies promoted!! How weird is that while cigarette smoking is injurious to health, but nonsense is not. 😀

10. Balaka says:

Good to know I am not alone who loved MPK back then and cringe at it now.. I think all of us collectively outgrew those idiotic movies. I think we loved them back then as we had no choice..once we got better options we just moved ahead. Thanks for stopping by.

11. Corinne Rodrigues says:

Ha! We didn’t have a television until I finished my degree! But at some levels I’m glad we were so protected, Balaka – what with teenagers having to think of ‘protection’ these days! What’s more youngsters seem to go around with a permanently bored expression having seen it and experienced it all.

Hahahahha!! This was too good, B!! You are the humour queen of our blogosphere, I must say!
    But, coming to the topic, you are right. I remember how many times I watched MPK. like an absolute moron! Now, when J look at the actors even, I feel nauseated. And, really, the kind of love and romance they showed is what spoiled our idea about it. Just look how we turned out… Absolute duds of the first order! 😂😂😂

13. Vinitha says:

Haha! Nailed it, Balaka! I agree with you completely, our idea of falling in love, romance, marriage, etc were highly influenced by the movies which showed a week heroine and a persistent hero. And sex education was limited to what we saw in screen! Thank god atleast now we are not attracted to such follies! Loved reading this, Balaka! 😀

14. Suzy says:

I haven’t seen maine pyaar kiya so can’t comment on that. My view is that each of us view films in a different light. what one considers nice may not be the same for another. I enjoy movies in the moment that I watch them and nothing more. Frankly I like the India of yore. There was an innocence there that was very endearing. The generation today has lost the culture and traditions that made India great – sorry just my view – and from a distance I see it so much more and it’s sad.

15. Hidden Gems says:

Agreed to many of your points. However ponder this, movies are made a notch higher than the era they are set in. In this blog, we are trying to analyse a movie made and set 40 years ago, while living in the future. Its almost like looking backwards. It will feel ‘backward’ too. Like we used to make fun of our parents liking the 50’s and 60’s era songs and dance (dance? what dance?). While we judge the movie-making and movie-going crowds of the 80’s, we need to put a realistic lens and try to see it from it. What was accessible those days? What was considered modern those days? Can we assume they made the movie the way they did, because they knew better. The irony is they didn’t know better. Remember the 80’s came from the 50’s and the 60’s, still forward, still progressive. The difference in masses will always remain. I still can’t explain why a movie like “Golmaal 3” gets full packed back-to-back shows. while a movie like ‘Secret Superstar’ playing and showing in the same theater doesn’t. Conclusion: Movie making is driven by the masses who watch it.