The Pets that Adopted us

Most people adopt pets but I have been always adopted by pets. They just land up in front of me and never let me leave. They stick to me stubbornly.

When we lived in Gangtok, we had a street dog called Julie. It was an extremely fluffy and cute dog. One day it took shelter in our balcony and stayed there till its last breath.Β  After we shifted to Kolkata, my mom found a newborn kitten during her morning walk. The kitten was extremely sick. Mom took care of it for a week but couldn’t save it. We had named it Felu.

Few months after my mom’s death I found a pregnant dog lying in my backyard. The dog looked extremely weak and feeble. I tried to give it water and food but the dog was in no position to eat or drink.

Next morning, I woke up to the noise of squeaks. When I came out of the house I found a litter of four puppies. The mother was nowhere to be seen and the hungry newborns were shivering in cold and squeaking. I looked around but couldn’t find the mother. Left without any choice I picked up those puppies and a wonderful journey began.

We named those puppies Kalu, Bheju, Lali, and Pinki. I became the de facto mother to those puppies. Sleepless nights began, the house used to be full of puppy poo and I was frantically trying to feed them, clean them and most importantly put them to sleep. My father was initially reluctant about keeping those puppies inside the house, but gradually he accepted them. Those puppies were naughty and used to keep me on my toes all the time.Β  Their best game was to wake me up in the middle of the night and force me to take them for a walk. I remember taking four puppies for a walk in the middle of the night. Our building watchman was kind enough to accompany me. While I used to walk like a zombie my puppies used to jump and roll.

There was a monastery near our house and one of the monks adopted Bheju. Lali was adopted by a neighbour. Unfortunately, we lost Pinki to diarrhea. We tried so hard to save her. The day she died Dad and me were unable to eat the whole day. Now, we were left with Kalu.

Kalu was not only our dog. He was loved by everyone. I have written in one of my earlier posts about the bonding Kalu shared with Gupto Kaku. Kalu was a timid dog and the day Potla Buro entered my bedroom poor Kalu was scared more than me. Kalu stayed with us for eight years and was nothing less than family.

My husband is strictly against having a pet, however, a cat has found its way to our home. We tried a lot to shoo it away but it loves to occupy the bed and sleep on it like a princess. Here’s presenting to you Princess Spotty. Look at her style isn’t she royalty?

felu2spotty

22 thoughts on “The Pets that Adopted us

1. pythoroshan says:

In our house too, dogs have always been like family, perhaps more so. Ironically, neighbourhood cats have adopted us and come into the house during breakfast and lunchtime πŸ™‚

Hey Bala. I know what you must be wondering. Yes, yes, it was like I had dropped off the blogosphere for a while now. But I’m slowly finding my way back.
    Spotty has got style. All she’s missing is a tiny tiara! Maybe Spotty can make your hubby change his mind about having pets. πŸ˜‰

3. Modern Gypsy says:

Princess Spoty is regal indeed! We were also adopted by our first cat – she walked into the husband’s tennis academy and into our life, and left her little paw prints on our hearts.

4. Sunita Saldhana says:

My house is also called Sunita’s atk because animals keep landing up at my door even though I live on the first floor. A friend found Muffin in the gutter as a few days old pup and brought her to us. A cat landed up at my door mewing and limping. We found that he had torn a nail and once we cut it , he was okay. He keeps coming back to visit now and then. The kids bring all sorts of birds to be mended though mostly it is just cutting human hair that has got entangled in their feet. One kid even dumped a puppy on us as his parents suddenly realised that they already had a six month baby at home and could not take care of a pup. The pup is now busy lording it over the chicks and ducks on my sister’s farm.
    Right now we are relatively free of other animals and Muffin heaves a sigh of relief.

5. Sonia Chatterjee says:

I have been scared of all animals beyond cockroaches. I fear cats, dogs and every possible pet. My husband’s family always had dogs as pets. Till date, we argue about getting a puppy home. I don’t know how long I will be able to save myself since the toddler has decided to take his father’s side.

Dogs know whom to follow, because they are born with the instinct to recognise the people who will shower them with love. And, they know that Balaka is a loving and a caring soul who will never let them down, come what may!!!
    ❀

7. vinodinii says:

Not many people are blessed with the kind of vibes you exude to make these animals get drawn towards you. I loved Queen Spotty! She’s got some attitude, man. πŸ™‚

8. Parul Thakur says:

What a lovely one! I have never had pets so I don’t have experience. But now after being friends with Junie who is my apartment guard’s dog – I know I have to have atleast a dog. πŸ™‚
    My brother used a rescue a lot of pups but at that time, my Papa was against a dog at home. I am sure they would want one now πŸ™‚

9. BellyBytes says:

What adorable pets adopted you! Are you sure you didn’t adopt them ? πŸ˜‰ I don’t really like cats but these days I seem to be seeing more of them and perhaps they make better pets because you don’t have to take so much care of them…..