Boredom Precedes Creativity #A-ZChallenge April 2020

“Boredom always precedes a period of great creativity”- Robert. M.Pirsig

I realized the truth of this quote in the last few days. Ever since the lockdown started, my social media timeline has been flooded with creative works by my friends, family, acquaintances, and their kids. I never knew that there were so many creative people around.  I discover the accountant on my friend’s list is a great harmonica player, the engineer is a great singer, the Vice President of a retail chain is a painter, the Scientist is a good baker and the Business Manager is an amazing sculptor.

painting-3135875_1920

I am especially impressed with the kids. They have got a free run and their creativity is oozing out. The parents are exhausted without maids and work from home. They are having to juggle work from home, along with dusting, sweeping, mopping, cooking, cleaning dishes, laundry, ironing, and home-schooling. They have thus given a ‘ja Simran ja, jee le apni zindagi‘ to the kids and the kids are just loving it. They are doing whatever they want to do. I see young painters, singers, poets, fiction writers, baker, dancer, and chef emerge out of these tiny ones.

There are also a few parents who are consciously using this time to teach the kids something new. Many parents do not get enough time to spend with their kids due to their hectic schedule so now they are trying to compensate that. They are teaching their kids to cook, bake, paint et.al.

girl-1641215_1920

I started teaching my son cooking. He is an outdoor kid and I knew keeping him indoors would be a challenge. Therefore, I started to teach him how to cook. He loves cooking. Then he came up with the idea to shoot the cooking steps. He downloaded an editing app and created his YouTube Cooking Channel. Thankfully, he is no more getting bored, his whole day is spent cooking, shooting, editing and uploading. I must say, he is doing a great job and I am quite impressed with his editing skills. Never knew he had this talent.

All of us always complained that our lives are so hectic and we hardly have time to do anything for ourselves. Universe probably heard it. Boom!! came this virus and now we do not know what to do with our time. So all of us unleashed our creative self and masterpieces are coming out. We are doing things we have always been passionate about but never got the time to pursue due to our job, travel, housework, etc.

A small trivia: It’s long been thought that Shakespeare turned to poetry when the plague closed the theaters in 1593. That’s when he published his popular narrative poem, Venus and Adonis, in which the goddess begs a kiss from a beautiful boy, “to drive infection from the dangerous year,” for, she claims, “the plague is banished by thy breath.” Love poetry, it seems, could be spurred by the plague, and—the seductive fantasy runs—even cure it. But Shapiro suggests that another closure of theaters, in 1606, allowed Shakespeare, an actor, and shareholder in The King’s Men, to get a lot of dramatic writing done, meeting the demand for new plays in a busy holiday season at court. According to Shapiro, he churned out King Lear, Macbeth, and Antony and Cleopatra that year.

source: https://aawsat.com/english/home/article/2201976/shakespeare-wrote-his-best-works-during-plague

Therefore, take this quarantine period in your stride and do something that you always wanted to do. Finish the book that you always wanted to read, take out the crayons, cook a storm, use YouTube to learn to play an instrument, finish writing the book you wanted to write, sing, dance and after the Lockdown emerge as a better person. And fellow bloggers let us blog to our heart’s content and finish writing those posts that we never had enough time to finish.

time-3306753_1920

20 thoughts on “Boredom Precedes Creativity #A-ZChallenge April 2020

1. Navita Bhatia says:

Such a simple and warm post conveying a lovely message. Nice to know you could give directions to your son’s hidden talent. Here in the US, the kids are still having online classes with their teachers. So, as of now didn’t get a chance to do something like that.

Thanks for your comment Navita. Here also they are having online classes. However, my son is an avid swimmer and as swimming pools are shut, he is getting free time. We are using that time to cook. Thanks once again for reading and commenting on my post.

2. Anita says:

This is a creative time. Even I feel the universe has given us a chance to “jee le apni zindagi”.
    To live and also to let live.
    Have you seen the animals like deer etc that have taken over the empty roads? Social media is full of such heartwarming images.

I’m doing a whole lot of bjp these days. Batran. Jhaadu. Poncha! So, not much of time actually.

Jokes apart, this a2z is my break time. Not able to visit as many blogs as I used to though. I don’t miss my regulars!

4. Shilpa Garg says:

True, Universe has listened to our collective pleas and wishes and given us all the time in the world to revive our old interests or learn something new.
    My work from home with meetings and trainings on Zoom along with cleaning up the mess which the boys create in the kitchen (kitchen is their responsibility) and then this AtoZ Challenge is not giving me time to even do my regular reading. I am busier than before. Sigh!!

5. Dr. Surbhi Prapanna says:

I really loved the message you had shared with this post. ya, it is a difficult time and we all should deal with this with patience and creativity. I am doing lots of DIYs with my girls and having a good family time too with learning and fun.

6. Anagha Yatin (@anagha_yatin) says:

Share the youtube channel details of your son, Balaka. Sure would love to subscribe to the young Master Chef!
    I agree with you when you say that one should invest the lockdown time in some creative pursuit or the pursuit that your heart yearns for. This time is not going to come again.

7. Gleefulblogger says:

The lockdown is a tad bit boring, but once you accept the fact that 21 days are going to be the same – it gets a little easier. Because then the mind starts working on how to spend this period. Glad to know about the cooking channel, my daughter picked up her paintbrushes and drawing sheets. Though, we have virtual classes started now so time isn’t an issue anymore.

Yes! Thanks to the lockdown, we have actually got all the time in the world to relax and unwind! My Instagram feed is flooded by the many creative undertakings of my friends. I’m so glad that your boy has found a way to make the lockdown productive. I’ll definitely check out his channel. Here’s to writing up a storm this April. 🙂