5 Movies on Netflix with Unique Story Line

Netflix has over 3,500 movies in India. It can get confusing to dig out good movies from the list. We often end up watching the movies from Netflix latest trends and miss out movies that may not feature in the ‘trending‘ section but are nevertheless great movies.

Recently, when I posted about few good movies on my Facebook page, many of my friends and followers requested that it would be great if I curate a list of movies for them.

Here are the list of 5 movies that have unique story line and are undoubtedly ‘out of the box‘ movies.

1. The Boy who Harnessed the wind : This is based on a true story based on the life of William Kamkwamba, a thirteen year old Malawi boy who goes against all odds to build his family an electricity-generating windmill from spare parts, working from rough plans he found in a library book. He built this primarily to provide water to his drought stricken village. If you have ever read novels by Chinua Achebe or any other African writer you would relate to it. William’s work was recognised by Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg. Kamkwamba also delivered a TEDTalk. I would advice that you show this movie to your kids.

2. Lion: This Dev Patel and Nicole Kidman starer movie is about a small boy called Saroo who gets lost in a train in India. He is later adopted by an Australian family from an Indian orphanage. The movie revolves around adult Saroo’s quest to find his biological family in India using Google Earth as his main tool.

3. Roma: A story that chronicles a tumultuous year in the life of a middle-class family in Mexico City in the early 1970s. The movie primarily follows the life Cleo, a live-in housekeeper who help Antonio and Sofía take care of their four children. Complications arise when Antonio suddenly runs away with his mistress and Cleo finds out that she’s pregnant.

4. Begin Again: This one is my personal favourite. I am a huge fan of Mark Ruffalo and this is one of his best movies. Gretta (Keira Knightley) and her songwriting partner/lover Dave (Adam Levine) head for New York when he lands a record deal with a major label. However, Gretta is suddenly left on her own when Dave gives in to the temptations that come with his newfound success. Things take a turn for the better for her when Dan (Mark Ruffalo), a disgraced record executive, discovers Gretta performing in a club. A mutually life-changing bond forms between the pair as they work together on Gretta’s first album that they shoot live on streets.

5. Julie and Julia: A culinary legend provides a frustrated office worker with a new recipe for life in this movie, the true stories of how Julia Child’s (Meryl Streep) life and cookbook inspired fledgling writer Julie Powell (Amy Adams) to whip up 524 recipes in 365 days and blog about it every single day . Stanley Tucci (The Devil Wears Prada) co-stars in director Nora Ephron’s delicious comedy about joy, obsession and butter. Bon appétit!

This movie is a ‘must watch’ for all food bloggers.

Hope you enjoy these movies. Do let me know, how you liked them. I would be posting more movie recommendations soon. Stay Tuned!!! Till then, Happy Watching Netflix!!!!

21 thoughts on “5 Movies on Netflix with Unique Story Line

Out of this list, I haven’t watched Lion and Roma. Actually I sat down once to watch Lion but knowing it was a year jerker, I didn’t go ahead. The boy who harnessed the wind is a fantastic movie. It moved D and me a lot. Before this movie, I didn’t know Malawi. D might have watched the movie 3 times. Begin again was nice. Any movie with Mark Ruffalo is nice except Hulk. The blogging part (not the food part of it) and the character of Meryl Streep made Julie and Julia endearing for me.
    I watched 5 flights up finally. Husband found it on YouTube. I didn’t like the way it ended as if the whole movie was made for nothing since they were back to square one – not wanting to sell their house or move out. I found the movie was based on a book. I want to read the book now but it is not available in Kindle format on Amazon India.

Lion is not actually a tear jerker. I felt it is a story of hope. It is sad at times but you can manage. The boy…. is a good movie that I have not watched in recent past
      You and me share same kind of liking for men 😜😜😜 after Trudeau now we share common liking for Ruffalo. I think, I have finished watching 80% of his movies. I deliberately did not watch Hulk, as I knew that would have turned me off.
      I also like Julie and Julia’s blogging part and not the food part. D is such a bright boy. My hugs to him.
      Do watch Roma, it is a slow movie but you will.like it.
      I liked that they didn’t sell the house in 5 flights up. I think the movie was about their dilemma that we all go through in our lives when we have to take some important decision. I loved their romance. How easily they have melted into each other as a couple. How they have become “us” from you and me.

2. Todd says:

Some great suggestions here. I definitely have to see The Boy who Harnessed the Wind.

— May be spoilers below so stop reading now if you haven’t seen Lion or read the book it is based on —

I haven’t watched Lion but read “A Long Way Home” by Saroo Brierley. A truly amazing story – and even more amazing to know it is true. Imagine all of the coincidences that had to happen to make it true – first to get him somewhere safe instead of any number of bad places a boy his age traveling alone could end up, and then once he was there to actually be able to find his way back. An unbelievable and wonderful story.

3. Obsessivemom says:

Gosh I’m so behind on watching Netflix. Haven’t seen any apart from Julie and Julia which I watched on the television long ago. The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind needs to be watched rightaway. Thanks Balaka for the recommendations.

I have seen Lion and loved it!Oh and also Julie and Julia…any movie with Meryl Streep is a must-watch for me. I will def watch the others you have mentioned here.
    A big thank you B, for this list. Really, while surfing through Netflix, I wonder which movie to watch and which to skip. So often, I choose a film and find it uber stupid and a complete waste of time.
    Now, going to visit your other posts on Netflix, too. 😛

5. Corinne Rodrigues says:

I’ve only watched Julia and Julia of this list. I’ve seen the documentary on Saroo’s life so I’m not sure the movie would cut it for me. Begin Again and The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind seem very promising. Saving them as favourites to watch soon.

6. Rajlakshmi says:

Oh these movies have been on my list, specially the first one. But hardly get time to watch anything on tv these days. These are excellent suggestions. 😊